One thing I really enjoy is educating my clients on the power of storytelling.
The power of a great company story can make such an impact. Why? Who doesn’t forget about a story that is powerful, thought-provoking and leaves your audience intrigued and wanting to learn more about you.
A powerful story, when communicated right, leaves your audience or your potential customer wanting to know more about your company. And it sets your company brand apart from your competition. As a marketing consultant, I always start by asking my clients: What is YOUR company story?
Now more than ever, we all have a story to tell. Especially due to Covid 19. Yep, we get it. It’s been quite the ride for all companies, small to large, in all industries. However, this is a great opportunity to see what your potential customer’s challenges and struggles are with the current evolving landscape. They are looking for the right company to help them overcome these struggles and challenges. Your company story can be that excellent “conversation starter” with your target customer or audience.
Your company story should:
- Humanize your brand
- Be personable and engaging
- Resonate with your target audience
- Speak to your target audience
Here are some tips and recommendations on how to get started:
- Get feedback from your target audience or your current customer base. One way you can do that is by sending a short survey, 5-10 questions is ideal.
- Talk to your current customers. Get a list of your current customers and pick up the phone and call them. Yes, call them. People appreciate the effort when a company is genuine and really wants to know and understand their pain points and challenges. Less sales driven and more customer service driven is what will resonate with your audience.
- Research your competition and see what is trending in your industry. Social media channels would be perfect for this type of research.
- After you have conducted your research, meet with your team and choose a theme or topic and how to apply YOUR company story to the needs of your target audience or current customer.
- Now this is the fun part: Choosing the media to communicate your story that will get the most engagement from your audience. Social media, video and webinars are always the best because this is where you can really humanize your brand. Your audience can actually see you and speak to you online.
- Always have a call to action. Determine how you want to follow-up with your target audience during and after your marketing campaign.
So, what is your company story? I would love to hear from you and see how I can help your company tell your story.